As Christmas is fast approaching, most of you will be putting your tree up and adding your festive lights but have you thought about how your Christmas tree can be a fire hazard?
The following advice, taken from the Fire Service website should be used to prevent the risk of Christmas tree fires and spreading into the home.
Special fire safety precautions need to be taken when keeping a live tree in the house. A burning tree can rapidly fill a room with fire and deadly gases. This can be demonstrated by viewing the following video. Furthermore the best way to tackle a Christmas Tree fire is by the use of a Water Mist Extinguisher which you can see by viewing the following video.
Selecting a tree for Christmas
Needles on fresh trees should be green and hard to pull back from the branches, and the needle should not break if the tree has been freshly cut. The trunk should be sticky to the touch. Old trees can be identified by bouncing the tree trunk on the ground. If many needles fall off, the tree has been cut too long, has probably dried out, and is a fire hazard.
Caring for your tree
Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks. Be careful not to drop or flick cigarette ashes near a tree. Do not put your live tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks. Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
Disposing of your tree
Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood burning stove. When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly. The best way to dispose of your tree is by taking it to a recycling centre or having it taken away by a community pickup service.
Stay safe and have a wonderful Christmas!